Reasons to Not Overreact


So, you get your head bit off.  You react.  If you are me, you get hurt and shrink down like a little mouse.  You immediately retreat and search for ways to repair the situation.  Diffusing the situation as soon as possible.  Stopping confrontations.  Your chest burns when there is confrontation.  In your mind, {if you are me} you think - "What the heck? Why are they mad at me?  What a jerk!  He hates me.  Dang it- how did this happen?  I should have done things better.... " and the negative self talk increases.  After I shrink - I pray. {at least I have that going for me... the praying part}

If you are my sister, you "freak".  Insults start, bridges are potentially burned as you say things you can never unsay.  You defend your innocence and stand up for yourself determined to not let someone be rude to you without justification.  Nothing is left unsaid, no one is left standing.  When she is done, she feels remorseful - and prays for forgiveness. 

Here's an idea--- Why don't we skip cutting ourselves down or our loved ones down - and just pray?!  Crazy idea...or is it? 

There is some bible wisdom for this of course:

"If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other cheek also"(Matthew 5:39 NCV)   {this sounds like what I do.}

But does he really want us to allow others to insult us over and over?  I think not... but what I do think he does want us to just let it go.  Turn the other cheek in my mind, before seeing this verse meant; look away, pay no attention to it, don't let it get to you.  This interpretation seems so much more "Jesus like".  Then add to it.... Give it to God.  Let God take care of the person and their insults... you just keep on keeping on.  Pray about it... Pray for the person that insulted you... "Pray for those who insult you." Luke 6:28 (GWT).  {don't do this while judging of course, just do it with a good heart.}  

Why is this person cranky, or on edge?  Is there something happening with them?  Pray for that... it's said by many wise and respected people; "we don't know what others are going through, their troubles, their stress"... sometimes, even our spouses keep some stresses from us.  Pray for what you are ignorant of.  Pray for the general happiness of the person.  Thank God for your ability to handle it better and pray for an improved day.  

We have all been in a spot where our patience is short, where we have said things we shouldn't have.  We all have tones of voices that we don't intend to be so sharp.  Give people a break.  Life is tough enough.  
Pray - like no body is watching.  I have never regretted praying for someone. 

This may have happened to me after my husband got home from a road trip.  He walked in the door after a very long drive {16 hours}... and proceeded to bite my head off about something I should have done differently.  I shrunk, felt sorry for myself and had a little pity party.  He went to bed cranky.  I went to bed feeling like a pile and praying.   
.... I found out tonight.... he got pulled over by a police officer for having a headlight out.  Pretty sure it wasn't just me he was cranky about.   He hasn't been pulled over in YEARS.  And for it to happen at 11:30 pm after being on the road pulling a stock trailer ALL-Day-LONG... I am sure he had a right to be cranky- He just needs a little prayer for assistance in not displacing that frustration on someone whom he loves.  




Pray this. Pray something else.  No prayer from the heart is wrong or dumb.  Pray it with God in your head and heart and you will never regret it.  

Much love~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog